Yes! Haha! Yes! I fixed Tangerine's occlusion culling tonight. While this isn't the silver bullet I was hoping it would be, it does substantially improve the draw time of my worst models. The most extreme case brings one of my interpreted models down from ~83 ms to ~30ms.

The fix itself isn't that interesting, but I wrote up my perf analysis and ideas for further improvements in the commit message, should that be interesting to anyone:

Also I pushed a new build to itch w/ the WIP occlusion culling system active

an idea: if a given voxel hasn't moved or otherwise changed shape since the prior frame, the culling test could be made stricter to eliminate false negatives for empty voxels in front of the actual rendered surface 🤔

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Gamedev Mastodon

Mastodon server focused on game development and related topics.