I'm going to do a mirror thread here about my little RPG project.
The previous step was this: https://twitter.com/Froyok/status/1518266804807815169
I could also split the map in more clever ways horizontally as well to stay around the 4K limit.
Only downside is that I want an uncompressed texture in memory, to ensure indexes are preserved.
Alright, I always struggle with math but I'm finally making progress here. I'm finally able to draw my tiles index image in a single screenspace pass now, at the right size ! :)
Finally made it work !
I'm walking on my map, yeay !
I made only the base layer work for now, next are the other layers. Then it will be collisions.
The advantage of using Substance Designer for building textures: using the height-map as a blending mask to make terrain/tiles transition for free.
Each time I want to build a new transition I just need to plug two materials together in a filter. :D
Before moving on to collisions (which I have prepped the data for it already, now I need to translate it into the game) I want to play a bit with water surfaces.
Right now I built a new set of tiles with transparency. The goal is to render the map as a black and white mask and then generated a distance field from the hole.
From there I should be able to generated dynamic shorelines. :)
Progress of the last few days:
- I finished the cliff textures, pretty happy about those ! :)
- I did a pass to adjust the contrast of the textures, things pop out a little better now
- I did a quick hack to implement my layering system, so now the player can pass behind elements, like the cliff edges.
- I improved the clouds shadows pattern and it looks much more natural now.
Mastodon server focused on game development and related topics.