I'm going to do a mirror thread here about my little RPG project.
The previous step was this: https://twitter.com/Froyok/status/1518266804807815169
Alright, I always struggle with math but I'm finally making progress here. I'm finally able to draw my tiles index image in a single screenspace pass now, at the right size ! :)
Finally made it work !
I'm walking on my map, yeay !
I made only the base layer work for now, next are the other layers. Then it will be collisions.
The advantage of using Substance Designer for building textures: using the height-map as a blending mask to make terrain/tiles transition for free.
Each time I want to build a new transition I just need to plug two materials together in a filter. :D
Before moving on to collisions (which I have prepped the data for it already, now I need to translate it into the game) I want to play a bit with water surfaces.
Right now I built a new set of tiles with transparency. The goal is to render the map as a black and white mask and then generated a distance field from the hole.
From there I should be able to generated dynamic shorelines. :)
Got the base collisions in.
I ended-up building them in Tiled too by hand.
I suppose this could become be tedious in the long run, but I like the idea of freedom from the tileset itself that it gives.
Plus is as easy to parse as the tilesets themselves when exporting to the game.
Progress of the last few days:
- I finished the cliff textures, pretty happy about those ! :)
- I did a pass to adjust the contrast of the textures, things pop out a little better now
- I did a quick hack to implement my layering system, so now the player can pass behind elements, like the cliff edges.
- I improved the clouds shadows pattern and it looks much more natural now.
Mastodon server focused on game development and related topics.