Monsters and Sprites Day 9: Alright, that's 9 days of work on this demo, ready to show it off at the expo tomorrow. @ me if you want me to turn this into a full game!

masonremaley.com/projects/mons

@MasonRemaley to all of us the day comes...when we must face ourselves

Monsters and Sprites Day 7: Puzzles puzzles puzzles only a few days left to finish this prototype in time for the expo

Monsters and Sprites Days 5&6: Forgot to post my update here yesterday--yesterday I implemented the basic game mechanics, today I updated the art with new stuff from Carrie, did some work on the camera, and added a little tutorial level by @evan_cmm@twitter.com

Monsters and Sprites Day 4: Alright, back on track now! Got the physics working & added some music by colinquinnwork@gmail.com. Next up are the actual game mechanics! #indiedev

Monsters and Sprites Day 3: Wanted to get physics working today, but had to add some features to my compiler first. There'll hopefully be a more exciting update tomorrow!

Monsters and Sprites Day 2: Built a quick level editor and crammed some concept art in it to test it out. We also got a booth at Playcrafting NYC's Spring expo next week so I guess it's gotta work by then! playcrafting.com/event/spring-

Okay so I'm up too late, but now not only does my engine hot swap scripts written in my language on save--it also has an editor callback that you can use to forward messages from the compiler to your editor as you type

(In case it's unclear, this is a video of a Pong like game written in my language having it's source hot swapped out while running. It's fast too--I initially had it recompile w/ no incremental compilation every frame by accident and didn't notice.)

You can now pass generic structs defined in my scripting language back and forth between Rust and the scripts, and have the types represented by Rust generics on the rust side. I'm super happy this works, but also think I've used up my metaprogramming quota for the year

This is a really good post on how Campo Santo created the hair for Zora, their black character in Valley of Gods. I really like that it talks about the cultural implications and not just technical
blog.camposanto.com/post/17163

Added `"match_brackets_angle": true` to my Sublime config and suddenly Rust is way easier to write

Pro tip: Add `declare -x HISTIGNORE=*reset*` to your bashrc and you'll never accidentally up arrow + enter a `git reset --hard HEAD` again.

In other news, after years of writing my own crappy text renderers for all my projects...I realized I'm better off just calling into the OS's text renderer on each platform. Here's my project rendering Arabic via CoreText on macOs, my previously renderers definitely wouldn't have gotten this right!

Ha, was wondering how sub pixel antialiasing got turned on. Turns out it's just chromatic aberration from my new glasses.

Show more
Gamedev Mastodon

Game development! Discussions about game development and related fields, and/or by game developers and related professions.