Andre Weissflog is a user on mastodon.gamedev.place. You can follow them or interact with them if you have an account anywhere in the fediverse. If you don't, you can sign up here.

Andre Weissflog @floooh@mastodon.gamedev.place

Retrospective of a year writing C code again (for those not also on twitter): floooh.github.io/2018/06/02/on

also posting this here: investigating an unexpected binary size reduction when replacing a bunch of C++ code with C code in the Oryol Gfx module: floooh.github.io/2018/05/01/cp

more like mastodon.8bitretrogamedev.place, buts whatevs :) I've started a Z80/M6502 assembler in Typescript, with the long-term goal of a modern 8-bit IDE for my home computer emulator as VSCode extension: github.com/floooh/hcasm (Per Vognsen's Bitwise project finally pushed me over the edge and convinced me that lexing/parsing isn't the voodoo-magic I thought ;)

big update to my 8-bit emulator: the chip emulators are now in separate dependency-free C headers, Z80 emulation is now (machine-)cycle-perfect, the Amstrad CPC emulation is much more precise, the web version defaults to WebAssembly. github project: github.com/floooh/yakc, wasm version: floooh.github.io/virtualkc/

I have changed the license of the sokol headers (sokol-gfx and sokol-time so far) from MIT to zlib/libpng: github.com/floooh/sokol (cc @rlyeh )

...there are countless topics on the Unity discussion forum about his, but most recommend to mess around with pivots in max, or after the import in Unity, I wonder if there's a simple "Y points up" in the Max FBX exporter which fixes this more in a more robust manner...

Unity/FBX/3DSMax question: what's the best/cleanest fix to get rid of the -90 X-axis rotation when importing 3DS-Max-exported FBX files into Unity (also for animated characters), is there an FBX exporter option, or is artist intervention needed?

I finally wrote that big blog post about my latest Z80 emulator tinkering:

floooh.github.io/2017/12/10/z8

New approach how emulated chips talk to each other by simulating the system bus pin connections. Involves running the finger through wiring diagrams like this: z1013.de/spl/z1013-64_2.gif :) (here's how I understand this so far: github.com/floooh/chips-test/b)

Z1013 emu example complete now with keyboard input and preloaded BASIC, 259 lines of C (not counting blank and comment lines): github.com/floooh/chips-test/b mastodon.gamedev.place/media/9

it's kind of surreal that the entire Z1013 operating system (with text console, debugger with register dump & breakpoints, cassette loading, etc...) is 2 KBytes and fits into a 130 lines hexdump: github.com/floooh/chips-test/b

simple 8-bit emulator sample (a Robotron Z1013) for my new cycle-ticked Z80 emulator, kbd input missing (will add about 100 loc) GLFW+flextgl+sokol_gfx+chips: github.com/floooh/chips-test/b mastodon.gamedev.place/media/e

PS: to clarify I didn't have problems with a variable QPF frequency so far, but I also didn't look very hard

I have created a very small standalone C-header for cross-platform time measurement (currently Win, OSX, Linux, emscripten): sokol_time.h (github.com/floooh/sokol/blob/m)

Some good idea how to reduce wasm/asm.js size further in here: github.com/kripken/emscripten/

...in "Z80 speed" the old instruction-ticked Z80 emu is running as fast as a 1.2GHz Z80, vs about 300MHz for the new cycle-ticked emu (on my mid-2014 2.8 GHz i5 MBP with clang -O3)

ok, got the time for running ZEXDOC+ZEXALL Z80 tests to under 300 seconds for the new cycle-ticked emulator (from 538 secs), still nearly 4x slower than the instruction-ticked version (which is 76 secs), but pretty ok now considering that an indirect call happens every few host-CPU ops mastodon.gamedev.place/media/q

I started making SWFW, a window management library in C (it's only two files): github.com/ferreiradaselva/swf
#gamedev #indiedev

I think I'll do some optimization attempts first before going on to the wait-state and interrupt handling. This is what the ZEX-test runner looks like (just needs some RAM and 2 CP/M system calls for char and string output): github.com/floooh/chips-test/b